Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I don't want to jinx it....

but I think it may just be, spring? It is a lovely day out there, and warming up nicely after a frosty start. The chicks are holding their own, lost another one yesterday and I am not sure why. But, they don't seem sick so I am thinking, maybe it was just a random death. I buried the body under the box elder, so I can't be accused of poisoning the little bird to death. I also buried a rabbit that the dogs caught and partially ate in the backyard. No, it was NOT a domesticated rabbit. For some reason, the wild rabbits like to come into the dog yard and hide out under the deck. It seems so stupid to me! Can't they smell the dogs everywhere? Honestly. Anyway, I think their death-wish antics of frantically running away from the dogs when I release the hounds came to the inevitable end, and I got to play gravekeeper. This body, I buried under the pine tree in back.

My peas have sprouted, with the Champion of England seeds triumphing over the Oregon Sugar Pea seeds in the race to break ground. No beets yet, and I am afraid to uncover my onions and potatoes--I don't want them to not get recovered and freeze to death. Last evening, aside from burying dead animals, I planted my new Whitney crab apple tree and 14 highbush cranberry plants. I am hoping that the cranberries take off and start forming a nice hedgerow around the new bunny yard. It'll be a really nice windbreak for the house, too--maybe it will keep the porch a little warmer? Anyway, I figured it would at least be a nice extra bit of wind shelter around the rabbit barn. The dogs are going crazy trying to figure out how to rip those little sticks out of the ground and eat them up, but can't get them through the new fence. Bwah hah hah hah! They should stick to wild rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!