Thursday, June 26, 2014

Blueberry Hill

I am so happy that my blueberries and bush cherry trees didn't die over the winter!  Nothing flowered this year, but hey, it's alive so I am thrilled.  This year, they will hopefully grow, put on more branches and leaves, and next year, produce a gillion gallons of sweet berries.

They really seem to love this otherwise horrible, excessively steep hillside in front of the house. I built some simple terraces out of wood held in place by short stakes in front and a pile of compost in back, and plonked the plants in.  For mulch, I use the copious amount of pine needles that get shed every year by the large white pines in the yard.  This soil is fairly acidic (the pines are directly behind them, with spruces just to the right), so nothing much else will grow there.  Luckily, both of these small berry types like a more acidic soil and are right at home.  I can hardly wait until they start producing a crop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!