Thursday, June 11, 2015

Garbage Can Potatoes


This helpful tutorial above shows you one way to grow potatoes in an easily-findable container, such as a garbage can.  This is how I grow my potatoes, in large galvanized trash cans heaped with compost and rotted hay/rabbit manure.  I add a little all-purpose compost to my layers as well, which seems to help things from getting too soggy.  Overall the potatoes seem to grow very well in this manner, and I get far fewer pests (such as those horrible Colorado potato beetles) when I grow in containers.  My seed potatoes have been chitting on the porch for a few weeks, and are just about ready to be planted out in their containers.  I just need to get some more multipurpose compost first...but then, it's potato planting time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!