Sunday, June 27, 2010

Everything's Coming Up Rhubarb!

Well, my squashes & melons may not be growing (no idea, they just stopped at the seedling stage and turned yellow & hard), my beans may be coming in, and the strawberries may be nearing the finish line, but my rhubarb is going gangbusters. When I moved in four years ago, I planted one little rhubarb plant. Two years ago, I split it and got two rhubarb plants. This year, I have rhubarb bushes.


In past years, I have made everything from Strawberry Rhubarb sauce, Raspberry Rhubarb jam, frozen it, baked it into various muffins, breads, and spongey, gooey desserts. However you shape it, rhubarb turns out great. I admit, I am a bit of a fan. But this year, it was time from something new.


After perusing my Ball Blue Book of Canning (which has so many pages stuck together from gloopy residue it isn't funny), I decided to make Victoria Sauce. It's kind of like a chunky, sweet & sour barbeque sauce. I think it will go great on everything from baked chicken to pork ribs done in the crock pot. Tried some last night on a beef roast and it was insanely good. I think I have found yet another way that rhubarb is indispensible!


Victoria Sauce

2 quarts finely chopped rhubarb (about 8 cups)

1 1/2 cups raisins

1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1/2 of a large one)

3 1/2 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup vinegar

1 teaspoon each allspice, ginger, cinnamon, and salt


Combine rhubarb, raisins, onion, brown sugar and vinegar in a large pot. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Simmer slowly until thick (about 1 hour). Mixture will darken as it cooks down. Be sure to stir often as it thickens to prevent burning. Once thick, add spices and salt and cook for five minutes more. Transfer to hot sterilized jars, put on lids, and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Makes about 4 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!