Monday, January 24, 2011

Dreaming of Spring

I got another rabbitry book in the mail today (along with three Terry Prachett novels, I just LOVE him). It is gray and cold and just miserable outside. Inside, it is warm but a bit drafty and my face hurts from having a tooth pulled this morning. All I want to do is dream about spring. Some day, when the weather is warm, I'll be able to sit on my deck. I'll be able to see green grass, and admire my new rabbit "barn". My garden will be growing, a warm breeze will be blowing, and the whole world will be filled with bird song. Right now, all I can do is take some pain pills, hug an ice pack to my face, and look through catalogs.
I am getting very excited to expand my rabbitry. I'd like another angora or two, so I can collect more fiber quickly to eventually spin with wool to make yarn. I'm tracking down local breeders of California white rabbits, which make good meat rabbits in a smallish size (5-6 pounds) which will be perfect for me. The latest issue of MaryJanes Farm has given me a great idea for building a barn in the backyard out of a canvas covered carport tent thingie and recycled pallets. I already know someone who has pallets to spare and has assured me that I can have as many as I can haul away! And, I scoped out the size carport I need online at Menards--it's about $300, but if I can get pallets for free, recycle some of my collected screws and nails, and just get some additional items like 2x4s and 2x6s and metal plumbers tape, I think I can do up a whole rabbitry barn for under $500! And then I will have a sheltered place for my rabbits to be in year round, near to the garden for easy fertilizer removal and near to the house for easy winter chores. It is so fun to have a dream to get through these long, dreary dark days of January.
Soon I will be placing my seed order, which is another fun project--who to buy from? What to get? I am trying to narrow down my list of "wannas" to what I know I will use: onions, squash, carrots, radishes, various greens, potatoes and some tomatoes. I have plans to make two more 4x4 gardens in front, where I'll plant my squash, and some cold frame planters on the south side of the yard near the orchard. I also want to plant a couple more heritage apple trees, another plum, and some apricots, which can go in the back. Oh, and a hedge of highbush cranberries to screen the view a bit and provide shelter for my little feathered friends. I am hoping to put in a little garden of sunflowers, too--I just love their smiling faces and how they follow the sun all day. A smiling flower face is certainly something to get me through a gray day like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!