Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Peep peeep peep!"


Right after lunch, I sped home. I was on a mission. The post office was holding a very special package for me, and it was one that couldn't wait. (I think Rand the postmaster was happy to see me show up.)


My box of chicks arrived! I was really worried about the cold night we had last night, as the boxes travel like any other mail: Overnight, in a big drafty truck. The hatchery had done a great job covering most of the air holes and putting a layer of thin cardstock over the lid. I could tell it was a lively bunch when I picked up the box, but there is always that moment, as you pull off the tape and you think, oh dear how many will be dead? This time, the answer was NONE! Not a single chick died while in transit. I was very pleasantly surprised. All were starving and thirsty and seemed to be very happy to get out of their box and explore the warm brooder. Last I saw them, they were basking under the heat lamps and moving on to the pile of chick mash (they had temporarily slaked their thirst) and contemplating naps. Now that they are all here and happy, I think that maybe I could use a nap, too.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh!! You have bunch of lil peeps ;) what kind did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are cornish rock birds, which will grow super fast and be ready for butchering in about 6-8 weeks. They are so cute and fuzzy now, but soon become big, feathered appetites on dinosaur legs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!