Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Community Gardening


Even though I have many garden spaces on my 1/4 acre lot, it is incredibly wonderful to be able to rent a 16 x 30 foot plot at the Community Garden just around the corner from me.  In it, I can grow all kinds of things that I just don't have the space for in the home gardens.

For instance, under the pallet a-frame I've planted several Sugar Baby watermelon plants.  They are growing quite nicely, now that they are over transplant shock.


I can also grow one of my most favorite tomatoes, Pink Brandywine.  They are so happy in their sunny space, setting blossoms already!


I can grow beans, to be harvested when dry and used in delicious fall & winter soups.


There's also space for some pretty & edible flowers, a mixture of heirloom sunflowers and spicy nasturtiums.



With any luck, I'll have plenty for my own use with a little left spare to donate to the local food pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!