Friday, June 28, 2013

Doo Wee Doo


It's a bit of a family affair, this fascination with Dr. Who.  It all started when my older brother and I were kids in the late 1970s, and the only TV stations we got were two PBS stations, NHPTV from Durham, New Hampshire, and WGBH out of Boston.  Sometimes, we could get the ABC affiliate out of Boston, but not consistently.  Needless to say, we got our fill of Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, and The Electric Company.  We also got to watch a lot of NOVA and National Geographic specials, which were pretty cool.  I may have been the only five year old who could converse about Carl Sagan and Ernie...anyway, back to Dr. Who.  It was the age of Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor, and he has such an impressively long scarf and a pocket full of jelly babies (I did wonder what the heck ginger beer was, though.)

With the revamped "modern" Dr. Who series alive and well on BBC, it's little wonder that my nephews and nieces are all aware of the madman in his blue box, flying around the universe having wild adventures with his human companions.  So, to celebrate the continuing afficionados in the family, I've collected a whole host of nifty knitting patterns to work on in the next few weeks.  I'll soon be stuck hanging about with a cast and crutches, and having some new patterns to try out will hopefully prove a welcome distraction from being away from the garden.  I've found a hat or two, and a wall hanging and a nifty scarf.  If they don't work out, there are plenty of non-Whovian patterns to choose from on Ravelry.

Now, to find a pattern to make one of these...
This, my friends, is an Ood.  He's holding his brain ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!