Saturday, August 8, 2009

Potato Harvest!


I am so excited: My potato project worked! This spring (end of April) I planted one seed potato cut into thirds into a very large plastic tub. After placing it on top of bricks near the garden, I waited. And soon enough, the little potato pieces started to grow. As the plants grew, I filled in the tub with more compost, straw, dirt, and sand. About a week ago, the plants started to turn yellow and die back. Which, according to the gardening books, meant that the potatoes were ready to be harvested. Last night, after a light rainy day, I pulled out the plants and tipped the tub over. After digging through the dirt pile, I found all sorts of little treasures. Hopefully they will dry out nicely over the next day or two, and then I will have fresh Nakota White potatoes to devour. I just love it when gardening experiments work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!