Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Back in the Nest Box Again


The girls have apparently taken my many lectures on the evils of freeloading and failure to fulfill a promise. This morning, a bright sunny end-of-November-cold kind of day, I wandered out and handed over the obligatory two (two!) scoops of scratch grains and refilled the water supply per usual. The girls were dissatisfied greatly with the ice on their water bucket, and muttered evil things under their beaks as I knocked out the ice scum and apologized. I seem to spend a lot of time apologizing to the current girls in the flock...
In any case, when I lifted the lid of the nest box bin, I wasn't expecting to see anything but the yellow plastic "encouragement" egg looking back at me. Imagine my delighted surprise when I found this dark brown beauty tucked into the straw! Yes, folks, that's right: Someone finally got the guilty bug and laid me an egg. I have my suspicions that it is from Fifi, my lovely Cuckoo Marans hen. That breed is known for laying deep chocolate colored eggs, and this one is of a definite cocoa hue.
Yes, I apologized to the girls for lecturing them on not laying for me, before checking for eggs. I don't think they accepted it.
In other chicken news, Thing One has been renamed Rudy. He is growing into a fine young rooster, with lovely irridescent green tail feathers and exceptional wing plumage. I hope he doesn't turn out to be noisy, because I would rather like to keep him. I have visions of hatching my own chicks come spring "meat bird" season! (Thing Two is hanging onto her name, appelated as Twoey. She isn't impressed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!