Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Tale of the Little Blue Cooler



Today was one of those cold, gray days that are Mother Nature's way of telling you that winter is at hand. Snow was predicted (and as I type, it has actually come and appears to be staying), and the whole day felt like it was waiting. As for myself, I was layered up, hat on head, and headed out the door to my friends' place, Living the Dream Farm.

Khaiti and Andrew are this simply wonderful couple, and I am happy to say that since I met them this summer, they have decided that I am a friend. It's always nice to meet people who also like growing their own food, and who don't think I am insane for having a wee little farm in my backyard. Ahh, kindred spirits unite!

Anyway, today as Turkey Harvest Day (otherwise known as the Saturday Before Thanksgiving). One of the nicest things about buying a turkey from Khaiti and Andrew is that on-hand participation is strongly encouraged. So when the time comes for your turkey to fulfill it's destiny, you get to help with all parts of the process. Plus, the turkey is nice and happy and eating turkey nummies (in my girl's case, yummy black mud) right up until they get tucked into an old feed bag. It was rather ingenious actually--my bird got gently stuffed into a cosy recycled feedbag with her little neck sticking out, and I snuggled her for a bit until the throes of passage were over. (Yes, I know. And I hope you are all appreciating the euphemisms I am using. Death is a part of life, but some of you out there get a little squweed out when I start talking about how my dinner gets made. It really was a nice process--would be that everyone's purpose in life was so clear, and death be so calm...)

I learned today that plucking turkeys is sooooooooooo much easier than plucking chickens or ducks. Give me a turkey to pluck any day. I met some really nice folks too, who were all there gathering their turkeys. All in all, it was a really nice morning. But errands and duties called, so I had to pack up my little hen and head back home. (I made it just before the storm started.) My morning adventures were done, and now the main course for my Thanksgiving dinner is waiting in the little blue cooler, preparing to make a grand, butter-basted debut in full glory. This really is the way to celebrate a holiday based on thankfulness.

Here's to good friends, local food, family coming to share in a good meal, and honoring my once-a-year turkey. I hope your holiday is full of good things, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!