Friday, July 3, 2009

House Art Installation


Someday, I would love to have a large, iron work sculpture of a chicken to hang on my "blank" front wall. Unfortunately, such a creation is way out of the current budget! So, what is a girl to do when she NEEDS some art but on a shoe string? She goes to Goodwill, of course! Lucky me, I managed to find the sun, the moon, and the stars for under $40. Goodwill in Menomonie had one remaining tin half moon, and a collection of mildly beat-up suns. After pawing through the pile o' sunshine, I found the perfect one: Not too bronzy, not too crunched up, and in the same style as my lovely half moon. A collection of tin stars was not to be had, so I headed up to my favorite "junky" retail store: Bargain Bill's in Rice Lake. I just love a store that has Christmas merchandise up year round. And, Bill's has a huge selection of artsy craftsy supplies--you name it, they have it (with a big emphasis on beads and paper). I rounded up five tin stars of various sizes and styles, none of which were more than $4. I had two at home already, and with spray paint to make them silvery or pewter-tone, they finish off my "cosmos" nicely. Of course, before I left Bill's, I had to tour the yarn corner. Lo and behold, they had BOXES of Lion Brand "fancy" yarns--so I had to leave with 10 balls of Moonlight Mohair. I've been hanging onto a lace shawl pattern that I think will work up so nicely in this blend of mohair and sparkly acrylic ribbon. Don't fret--I'll post a picture when it is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!