Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Just Peachy



Today, I am home with a sore throat. I am so tired of plain yogurt, glumpy cream of wheat, and probiotic-laced cottage cheese. If I look at another mushy noodle, I may just scream. It is definitely time to rummage the cupboards and find something different.

I rediscovered the bags of sliced, fresh-frozen peaches that I tucked away into the freezer last July. After adding some brown sugar and spice, stewed peaches (with a dollop of yogurt to help the Antibiotics Fairy do her thing) and I had a happy lunch, dreaming of summer.

Cast-Iron Skillet Stewed Peaches

Melt one tablespoon unsalted butter in a small cast-iron skillet. Add three tablespoons brown sugar and one teaspoon ground cinnamon. Stir to combine, allow to perk a bit on low heat. Add about a cup or so of frozen, sliced peaches. Swizzle the peaches around in the sauce, cover with a spare lid or strip of aluminum foil, and allow to work away on low heat for about 15 minutes. Stir it once in a while, to be sure nothing is sticking and burning. Once the sauce is thickened and caramelly, allow to cool slightly (hot sugar is like lava), spoon into dish. Very good served with plain or vanilla yogurt, or a teensy scoop of ice cream if you have this as a dessert. You can play with the spices, too--ginger and peaches go really well together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!