Sunday, February 13, 2011

Saturday's Garden Dreams

Yesterday, I hosted a Seed Share: a bunch of folks, all dreaming of growing things in the soon-to-arrive spring, came over with all their extra seeds and catalogs and knowledge, sat around my kitchen table, and dug in. It was incredible how much gardening lore I acquired in just a couple of hours. I even seemed to have some ideas that others' hadn't heard before. Not bad for a novice gardener! It was so fun to dig through everyone's spare seeds--I got some new pepper seeds, new sunflower seeds, new pea and bean seeds, lemongrass and basil and sweet marjoram. It was gardening heaven! Several of us have plans to go in on potatoes and onions and garlic. And, I think I have found someone to combine a tree order with!
After everyone went home, I sat down and narrowed down my own personal seed order. From Jung's, I am ordering miniature red bell peppers, bush acorn and butternut squashes, and a collection of round zuchinni. From FedCo, I am ordering teeny tiny seed packets of green deer tongue greens, organic beet and radish and shell beans, the "classic keeper" seed potato collection and both red and yellow onions (which should keep all winter into next summer!). That leaves me with today's project--starting to plan out the garden, and deciding how to build a couple more beds.
I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!