Wednesday, April 27, 2011

And it just keeps snowing....

I think I know why Jack Nicholson's character went crazy in The Shining: It wasn't possession by evil spirits, it was the endless snow. I have been feeling very tempted to swing an axe around while shrieking, "Heeeeeeeerrrrreeee'sss Johnny!!!"
Well, not really. It is very sad, though, after a sun-filled weekend full of gardening, digging in the dirt, and getting a whopper of a facial sunburn, to face a work week with SNOW FALLING FROM THE SKY. I mean, really. Who's idea of a joke is this? It sucks.
This past weekend, I took a five-day vacation from work and spent it outside in the yard (aside from Friday when it rained, so I spent the afternoon indoors with salty chips, chocolate, and movies--it was vacation, after all.) Day #1: Pounded 25 fence posts, hung 100 feet of fencing, planted three trees, fenced off all three trees with stakes & poultry netting, cleaned both chick & full-sized chicken houses. Day #2: It rained, so I built a garden gate out of twigs and called it a movie day. Day #3: Cleaned up dog poop, hung out laundry, took dog into town to participate in an Easter activity, came home & cleaned & then had a great movie night involving pork tacos....mmmm, tacos! Day #4: Hung garden gate, hung rabbit yard gate, dug out three garden beds and expanded three other beds into one giant potato patch, planted yellow Stuttegard and red Red Barron onion sets, planted five kinds of potatoes (Green Mountain, Kennebec, Russet Burbank, German Butterball, and Red Pontiac). Note: This garden project also involved clearing out copious amounts of kitty poo, from my outdoor kitty Beezle's "composting" project...ewwww. Day #5: Raked out front garden beds, burned a giant pile of pine needles, pounded two fence posts, took four generic benadryl for allergy attack caused by incinerating pine needles (I forgot I was really allergic to pine trees, and then remembered after I was bathed in oily smoke. Itchy.) Took shower, went to town for a doctor's appointment (routine, not related to pine needle incident) and errands revolving around buying animal feeds, but livened up by a drive-thru to Culver's to get a lemonade freeze (yes, they are back! It must be almost summer.) Now, all I need is an assignment to write an essay titled "What I Did On My Vacation" and I could write up a bang-up piece sure to deserve an A+++++. I wasn't ready to head back to work, but my gardening muscles needed the break!
***Chick Update: Lost another one yesterday, but the remaining 38 are going strong. If the weather holds this weekend, and actually WARMS UP, I will be moving about half to the new "grow out pen"!***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!