Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Gate Project









The first gate hangs out back by my garden. I'm hoping that it will keep critters (aka Beezle the Cat) away from my vegetables.










The second gate closes off a small section of yard (15 feet x 15 feet) where the rabbit barn will be located. I am getting excited to build that project, which should start in a couple of weeks. (I think my two current rabbits, Mohair and Cashmere, are also getting excited to move off of the porch!


This was a really fun DIY project to do, much easier than I thought it would be. I don't know why, but I've always thought building "twig" items had to be difficult. I guess it is because they look so interesting and rustic and woven together....anyway, the hardest part was finding thick enough and long enough branches to support the main frame, so it didn't twist and felt solid when stood upright. Oh, and hanging a gate by yourself. That is rather tricky, but do-able. (If possible, find someone to hold it for you. Hinges swing, you know.) Thinking of making your own gate? Here's what I used:


* Branches from a convenient tree. I have box elders in the yard so I trimmed them and used the donations.

* a set of 2 1/2 inch flat corner brackets, which come with matching 1/2 inch screws

* a bunch of 1 inch wire nails (also called brads)

* some hardware cloth or chicken wire

* simple metal hinges


Use the corner brackets to connect the four corners of the main frame. I recommend using 3 inch diameter branches for the frame parts, they are solid without being too heavy. Using a variety of branches (ranging from 1/2 inch to 2 inch diameter) fill in the frame of your gate. I ran some branches diagonally across the frame, while others were running horizontally or vertically. I kind of liked leaving some "free" branch bits, they look artistic, I think. Tack in place with the small nails. Put the hardware cloth or chicken wire across the bottom 2/3 of the gate, or cover the whole gate with the material. This is to keep anything from leaping between the twigs on your new gate! Hang with the hinges (again, having a helper for this part might speed things along....)


It may not last forever, but it is a nice way to recycle some stray branches and keep your garden safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!