Monday, May 23, 2011

The Babies are in the Shed

And I am a nervous wreck. Well, I am trying to hide it....but I am. Not that they will get too cold (They are under a 250 heat lamp and in a brooder made of a plastic exer-circle gizmo draped with old quilts, with a thick quilt chucked over the top to keep the heat in. With the new floor and a thick layer of shavings, they are warm as toast), but that there is some evil bacteria just lurking to get them. Now, if there WAS bacteria, they would have gotten it by now as my boots and gear have trekked through the porch a million times, and you know poo--it spreads around. And there is a new floor, a good four inches above the old one, and I doused the whole damn shed with about 10 gallons of 6.5% dairy grade industrial bleach mixed at 50% greater than recommended solution. Couldn't go in there for two days, the fumes were so bad...and while there is STILL poo residue on the original floor, it can't be alive anymore. At least, no bacteria can be alive in it. Can it? See, that is what I am worrying about. But, the move had to be done. When I came home this afternoon, the stench on the closed up sun porch was strong enough to fell an ox. And it wasn't cat box or residue from over-wintered bunny, folks, it was 40 little chicks who at two weeks old have discovered the joys of eating and pooping (they do both simultaneously and continuously). While I theoretically have faith that the bad bacteria are d-e-a-d, I am keeping my spare tetramycin powder close. Oh babies...be strong, babies! Be strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!