Friday, May 13, 2011

It's Almost Butchering Time!

The chicks have grown in to fat, white beasts of chickens. They aren't as large as some chickens I have raised in past years, but as these poor guys have been plagued with chilly spring weather and illnesses, I figure I am going to call it good and be happy with smaller fryers. Given that I am keeping these for my personal use (a grand total of 38 made it to butchering time), I don't particularly have need of giant chickens. It is a big relief to know that we've made it to the bitter end--I wasn't so sure we were going to. (I think the chickens were beginning to wonder themselves.) This afternoon, I am heading over to the processing plant in Clear Lake, WI, to gather up some crates. On Monday morning, bright and early, I will be heading back with full crates of clucking chickens--and a couple of hours later, gathering up packages wrapped in cellophane. It's not a bad system--fresh chicken for the freezer without having to deal with the feathers and guts. My other project for Monday? Cleaning out the brooder shed within an inch of its' life to prepare for the new chicks arriving next week. This time, layers!
Tomorrow morning, I am heading to a local animal swap in Spring Valley. I hear tell that there will be an assortment of rabbits to choose from. Who knows, maybe I will find one (or all three!) of my desired does for my meat operation. Now, to set up the bunny barn....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!