Sunday, June 26, 2011

6 More Weeks



Yesterday morning, I got a call from the Eau Claire Post Office Dispatch Center, letting me know that my chicks had arrived and I could come fetch them if I wanted them before Monday morning. So, I swung down and brought home a boxful of little, fuzzy, yellow Cornish Crosses. (I ordered the "Frying Pan Special" from McMurrray Hatchery this time around, and hopefully they will be super-healthy and grow fast!) They are very cute, and so much more lazy than my last batch of future laying hens were--they seem to want to sleep, eat, sleep, drink, eat some more, and sleep again. That's it. Must be a nice life for a newly hatched chick! All in all, they are doing well in the new brooder I made out of a rubber stock tank and an old quilt. I think they'll be fine in there for the first week or so in their little rubbery terrarium; by then, the weather should have evened out so I can look at relocating half to the shed and half to the grow out pen. The nice thing about raising chicks in the summer is that their feathers come in very quickly and they grow pretty fast, so at the end of July I should be able to enjoy a whole bunch of fresh chicken. I think my friends who are buying some of this batch will be happy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!