Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Week in Review

Why oh why have I not posted since last Sunday? Well, it could be that it's been a little wild around here. This past week was my last official work week of the school year, and the start-up week of my new teaching gig for a local university. Both events combined to make a nexus of evil that sucked my will to live for about 24 hours. This was followed by a couple days of frenetic house cleaning (it was raining and I couldn't mow the yard or weed the garden, so I had to face the dirt indoors), which have paid off in a new vacumme cleaner and a more tidy house. I managed to retain the minimum level of dirt that I require to feel sane and non-Martha-esque. The chicks are growing, and have reached the official "pullet stage": They now have real feathers, and are colored up real purty. They look like mini-hens, but still peep when alarmed/happy/eating/curious/pissed off. I have a feeling that their clucks are going to arrive soon. My grown-up hens are doing well, although egg production has been way off which is causing me to suffer. I need my scrambled eggs, or poached eggs, or omelets, or baked goods...in any case, the lack of eggs is causing some mayhem.
The new rabbits (one doe and my buck, named Bucky) are doing very well. I think that the two older does may be pregnant--in any case, it appears that rabbit sex was successful for both parties, so I can only wait and see what happens in a few more weeks. I have it marked on the calendar, so I will know when to introduce the nest box (Day 27) and when to expect the kits to arrive (Day 31). One of the does is acting very pregnant--she started ripping fur from her belly, and is eating like kibble is going out of style. The other is acting moody, staring into space and grumbling at me when I reach into her cage to leave some hay. Bucky is bereft without his girlfriends, and keeps muttering at me. Poor guy, no extended honeymoon for him!
The garden is growing well, and seems to be keeping ahead of the weeds. If it ever dries up, I'll be able to mow the lawn and do some weed-whipping around here. Right now, it is too damn humid and the grass won't dry, so I can't mow. I'm sure my neighbors are displeased. Ahh, well. They should be used to it by now, and be thankful I don't rent a sheep for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!