Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rhubarb, Rhubarb Everywhere.




In the garden, it is sad but true that you can have too much of a good thing. Take the case of rhubarb: I love it, it is terrific in so many ways, and right now, I have nearly as much of it as I have salad greens. I think I am going to set a new record for sheer number of salads consumed in one week....but I digress. Rhubarb, the wonder plant. Pick it, and it grows three more leaves to replace the one you plucked. Stew it, jam it, chop it, bake it, freeze it and save it for later, rhubarb is pretty darn versatile. After picking both plants to nubbins, I had waaaaaaaay more rhubarb than I needed to make a batch of rhubarb sauce (fantastic on ice cream or a slice of pound cake), so I decided to make a fantastic pie. Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb pie. Doesn't the name just make you drool? Trust me, it is seriously good.

Rhubarb Strawberry Crumb Pie

Pastry for a 9-inch pie (frozen is fine)

3 cups chopped rhubarb

2 cups sliced strawberries

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup sour cream

1/3 cup flour

Topping: 1/2 cup each flour & brown sugar; 1/4 cup soft butter

Arrange rhubarb & strawberries in unbaked pie shell. Mix sugar, 1/3 cup flour and sour cream. Pour evenly over fruit. For topping, combine 1/2 cup flour & brown sugar and butter. Sift by hand until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of pie.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes more, until fruit is tender. Chill before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!