Saturday, December 31, 2011

Girl Meets Truck


Recently, my beloved Bennie Car started having issues. As in, $600 minimum per incident, per 4-6 week interval, issues. Poor, poor Bennie Car. He saw me through my first chicken pick-ups, and processing days (ohhh, the poo that went everywhere...), and dogs and road trips to the American West, and moving my mom to St. Louis from New Hampshire, and many, many long days driving the backroads of Wisconsin headed off to work. I love Bennie Car. But Bennie Car was threatening to leave me stranded with strange, mysterious hybrid-computer-meltdown-tantrums in the middle of the Wisconsin prairie, which is really not nice in any relationship, car or otherwise. Thus, Bennie Car and I have been contemplating an amicable parting of the ways: him, headed to a new life as the happy city-dwelling car for a green-loving person in need of a used hybrid vehicle...and me, to green pastures and wide-open sunsets behind the wheel of a vehicle designed to not only haul my sorry butt around all corners of the earth for work, but ready to tackle moving everything from hay to critters to many cubic yards of dirt come the weekend.
This afternoon, after emailing and phone conversations with the nicest car salesman guy I have ever met (Chad at Swant Graber in Barron), I met my new friend Lucille Laverne. She's a lovely little thing, who looks like a lady and kicks ass like a roadhouse barmaid. (Technically, she is a Dodge Ram 1500 quadcab, but she likes to be called LuLa after you buy her a fancy drink with an umbrella in it.) She even came with a trailer hitch. Good lord, I am in love with a truck...I'm even buying her shiny pink things to make her look "pretty". I did feel sad bidding my Bennie Car good-bye, it was definitely closing the chapter at the end of a really good book. But with my new truck, I don't have to worry about how I'm going to get things here or there, or am I going to make it to work...or home from work?? Can't tell you which option of not making it places is worse, really. And yes, my gas mileage is going to be different--but the way I drove Bennie, I wasn't really doing great in the MPG department to begin with. (Bennie averaged at best 30 MPG. LuLa should be around 26 MPG.) Besides, paying for gas ALWAYS sucks, no matter what car you drive. Someone should really make an engine that runs on water, or spit.
Today's adventure marks the culmination of a longtime dream, owning a nice big truck capable of doing many, many jobs at a moment's notice. It's something I have always wanted: a big truck, complete with fuzzy pink steering wheel cover, fuzzy pink dice on the rearview, and a pair of fabulous Audrey Hepburn-esque shades perched on my freckled nose. A long time ago, someone told me that "girls can't handle driving trucks" when I shared my dream of having a truck to drive around in. Well, LuLa and I just plain ol' disagree with that statement. Watch out, boys, and don't choke on my dust.
Happy New Year, everybody! Here's to fulfilling all of those amazing dreams.

2 comments:

  1. WoooooooW!!!! a huge congratulations on the new truck!! She's a beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a BAD ASS truck you have! Looking forward to our May sale finds filling up LuLa :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!