Monday, July 16, 2012

A Mess of Greens


Today is hot and muggy, so between forays out in Lucille Laverne to check on my chickens in the field, I am working on indoor projects.  Housecleaning is among them, but I am most excited about cooking.  I have plans to bake some cookies and after a trip into the back garden, I have a whole pile of kale to soak, rinse, chop and saute.  I love to cook it down in a hot skillet laced with olive oil and some garlic.  After its all nice and wilty, I pop it into freezer baggies and save it in the deep freeze for when winter comes calling.  It's easy to add a bag of precooked kale to soups, stir fry, or a casserole.  I've even been known to heat it up with a little butter, salt and Parmesan cheese and call it dinner.

Homegrown greens in the depths of winter is such a luxury!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!