Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Handy Seedy Resource

I know I've mentioned this book before, but seeing as we are entering the throes of seed starting season, it bears mentioning again. 

When I'm faced with a difficult-to-start seed, or just trying out a plant I've never tried growing from seed before, the first book I reach for is my well-worn copy of The New Seed-Starters Handbook by Nancy Bubel.  It really helps when you are starting challenging things such as dahlias or watercress or sweet peas or lupine from seed.  It's also helpful in troubleshooting seed starting issues, like persistent die-off or damping off of new seedlings.  While there aren't lots of pictures to guide you through the process, the text is well written and quite easy for even the most novice of gardeners to follow.

You can find copies of this in many used bookstores in their gardening sections, as well as online.  Even if you buy a new copy, the cost is well worth the many years of seed starting advice you'll get out of it.  I highly recommend adding a copy of this book to your personal garden library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!