Friday, July 17, 2015

The Beauty of Wild Flowers


Each summer, I try to add some gratuitous beauty to the garden by way of wild flowers.  The bees and hover flies and butterflies adore them, which makes the rest of the garden very happy as well.  And I love how they look, little dots of cheerful color happily growing in wild abandon.  When fall comes, I mow them down with the weed whipper and give the area a good raking.  Generally I need to reseed in the spring after the last frost passes, but some flowers do a wonderful job of seeding themselves.  I have patches of blanket flower, yarrow and bachelors buttons that come back, year after year, delightful surprises for both me and the bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!