Saturday, May 30, 2009

Another lovely Saturday...


It must be a carry-over from elementary school, but I do love Saturdays. It doesn't matter if they are grey and cloudy, or if there is sun. It doesn't matter if I am so busy running errands, or just sitting drinking coffee and puttering about the house. Saturday is the BEST day of the week! Too bad there is just one of them. Today has been one of the puttering type of Saturdays, which is nice because last week was the running-around variety. I've been able to hang out some blankets and sheets to dry in the wind & sun, and I gave my bedroom a little bit of a spring clean. Well, I still have to dust, but the floors are tidy and I changed the linens.

We had a little rain last night, not enough to make it so I don't need to water, but enough that the air smells fresh and clean. The garden is doing well--the corn, pumpkins, winter squash, and some carrots have all sprouted. No sign of the cucumbers yet, but I am sure they will appear soon. The potato plants are doing great--almost high enough for me to add another layer of dirt and straw mix! All nine black pullets are in the coop and very happy. I need to figure out how to get the hen run door to open and close a little more easily. Yesterday, I picked up a small pulley and hook, so I will work on that this afternoon. I am hoping to find some old sheets at yard sales today--I finished my first rag rug and I am thoroughly addicted. What a fun new craft! The photo came out fairly well--it is a little wavy and won't lie flat, but since it squishes flat when I walk on it I think it will flatten out in time. I really like how the colors came out. Of course, for a first endeavor it was fairly expensive (I bought new fabric for the class I took) but now that I know the technique and I can use "old" cottons, I think I can make many more rugs for much less money. My new garage finally arrived on Thursday. My neighbor had a gray canvas hut that he had stored his boat in, and no longer needed since they rebuilt their garage, so I bought it for $200 and he and some cousins moved it into my yard on Thursday evening. I am hoping to buy some firewood for the backyard fire pit and store it in there--there's plenty of room for the car AND stuff! It is always nice when things work out to be dual-purpose, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!