Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chicks at 4 weeks

So, as you can see from the video, the girls are growing and are getting spunky. I think I might need to round up something to act as a roosting post so the little black ones can get up on something at night. The huge white ones don't have any motivation to roost--too far from the feed bin!

Finally it is warming up around here! My newly planted strawberries are starting to pop out little green leaves, the apple trees are unfurling little leaves and buds, and (glory of glories!) the maple tree I planted in the back yard did NOT DIE over the winter! This afternoon, worked finished early so I worked in the veg garden for a bit. Managed to get the dirt ready to go in the new bed for corn/beans/squash and even planted a couple hills of pumpkins. I am hoping that the three sisters technique actually works in my garden. I suppose I will find out.

Moved the two large hens to the "summer chicken chalet" by the garden. They are so happy, eating all sorts of green grass and dandelions around the edge of the garden. Don't worry--they are contained in a portable yard so they can't leap out and eat my goodies growing in the garden. I am hoping that they will be good weed and pest control this summer. Anything (not Round-Up!) that can keep that darn Creeping Charlie in check will be very welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!