Saturday, May 23, 2009

Processing Day




Well, today was the day: The 19 chickens and 5 old hens became future dinners. Just think! Roasted hens, fried chickens, chicken and dumplings, chicken stew, chicken fajitas, chicken hash. And all from my own growing and caretaking! I still find it surprising, that I have grown meat. The processing plant was very tidy and a small family-run operation. I stuck around and worked on a rag rug in the car while the processing was happening. Okay, so I admit: It was fairly creepy to hear my little chickens sqwak-sqwak-sqwaking and then becoming decidedly silent. But, it was a quick transition and the folks that were doing the job were very nice and obviously didn't want to prolong the pain. And the tidy little packages definitely are helping to fill my freezer! Each of the meat chickens was about 4-5 pounds, while the old hens were much smaller (most only 1-3 pounds). I think they will ALL be delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!