Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It Doesn't Look Like Much Now

But in a few months, it is going to be a thing of beauty.

This humble empty lot, located at the corner of Wayne Street and River Avenue, is the location of the future Prairie Farm Community Garden. I am beyond excited about this! It took a couple years of working toward it, and a year or so before that just thinking through it, and a whole bunch of people coming together to agree that having a garden space in the village is a simply fantabulous idea, to make it happen. Under that thin layer of snow, there is ground just yearning to be worked, planted with seeds, tended with care...in other words, it is ready to GROW, man. I dearly love liberating a lawn from it's grassy prison. Come, squash! Onward, beans! Carrots? There's a bit of room over here for you. Bring those lazy parsnips along with you. And let us not forget the lettuce. (Come on, you know I had to include that old garden joke. I hear you tee-heeing, don't make out like you don't find produce humor hil-AR-ious.)

If I haven't confused the timing, a press release will hopefully appear in the next edition of our local monthly paper, announcing that garden space is available. After that, let the phone calls pour in, people! Let's grow us one heck of a community, in a garden, together.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for sticking with this and getting it going! I cant wait to see the pictures of all the wonderful veggies everyone grows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, shucks! Thanks--it was a group effort, really. I am just a most persistent member of that group...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!