Saturday, February 25, 2012

Les Bebes

Photos to follow soon, but just had to post that Little Mama finally had her kits. Yes, this was when I had initially calculated their arrival. I think she likes to mess with me sometimes, and the early nesting urge was just a false alarm. Although, I have read that rabbits can have two births: one with a couple kits, followed up to 48 hours later with another, larger litter of kits. So who knows, maybe she was having nesting fever like a lot of pregnant creatures do!

The initial count of teensy tiny babies is (at best guess) eight--however, this was a pretty quick check, done primarily to rule out any stillbirths in the nest, as Little Mama wasn't best pleased to have the Human looking at her little lovelies nestled in the fur. So the actual count could be a few more, or a few less. She is quite the trooper, is Little Mama. I think I definitely do need to acquire a larger grow-out pen for the kit collective if this is going to the "norm" for how many kits arrive. Oooh, and just wait until Magda starts in the mix! It's going to be rabbit for dinner, all the time!

Yes, I know. Some of you out there find that disturbing. Particularly in a post announcing a delightful birth of baby bunnies. Strange juxtaposition, isn't it? Some would even say "macbre", but to me, it's just normal. These kits, though only a day old, have a purpose to fulfill--and that is to be a wonderful dinner someday. The benefits of rabbit raising don't just stop at having something cuddly to pet. Lots of manure, lots of fiber to use, fur for clothing and yes, meat for supper. (Are you humming "Circle of Life" yet?)

For now, it's "Hooray for the Bambinos!" Later on, I'll be cheering for additions to my freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!