Sunday, February 24, 2013

Grow Where You're Planted


What an impressive garden!  It definitely gives me some ideas for developing a linked system of water barrels.  Right now, I don't have any--I really have to fix that this coming season.  I also like how she has a little beehive operation going.  I would love to have bees for the honey and pollination help, but...well, I am a wee bit afraid that I have developed a sting allergy.  There was a summer a couple years ago where I had a demonic (seriously, they were evil) infestation of ground "bees", and between them nesting in the ground about the yard and me discovering them with the mower, as well as a giant hive filling an entire wall of the porch, I got stung many, many times.  And now, sometimes the old bee bites wake up and itch and burn like new, a couple years later.  Plus, any bite causes the same reaction--most recently a spider bite caused them to wake up--so I am nervous about getting stung 'officially' and keeling over in the garden.  Not that I think a honey bee would bite me ordinarily, they are really friendly in the garden, but if one decided I had smushed it or didn't want me to take its honey, that could be bad.

Maybe I can find somebody who wants to park a hive here, in exchange for a jar or two of honey?  Its something to think about, anyway...but for now, I'll avoid the temptation and hang onto my epi-pen.

I love her happy chickens, don't you?  They sounded so happy, with those little brrrp-brp-brup purr noises.  Sweet little chickie ladies!

My favorite line:  "Hey, let's go check out the worms!"  Ha ha ha ha...if you say things like that, you too may be a Backyard Urban Survivalist.

Man, I have got to make myself a worm bin.

Just a side note:  Even if you aren't a believer in the issue of peak oil crisis and related concerns as mentioned in this video, it is still fascinating to see how much can be done for food production on a small lot to support an entire neighborhood.  Personally, I don't embrace an "end of the world" view point, but consuming less and doing more to make a positive neighborhood is good for everybody.  Dontcha think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!