Monday, February 18, 2013

Joined

courtesy of Main Street Market Whole Foods Co-Op

This past weekend, I decided to join a local food co-op in a town nearby.  I've thought about it for a couple of years now--and while I shop intermittently at them, I just haven't felt as though "being a member", officially, would be something that I needed to do.

Fast forward to now, when I grow a significant portion of my yearly food needs, shop locally from friend farmers, and frequent places known as "bulk food stores".  It turns out that, well, I am a co-op needing person.

There's all sorts of reasons to join a food co-op (you can read about some of them here), but for me, it boiled down to (a) I don't really go grocery shopping much anymore, so when I do, I'd prefer it to be a local alternative, (b) the bulk food store I love doesn't have all things in organic, and for some foods, that's really important to me, (c) the local co-op has access to locally grown seasonal vegetables, that are hard to come by elsewhere as the Farmers Market doesn't run in the winter time, and (d) by joining, I'm able to save a few percents on the grocery and bulk items I buy. 

It's also really fun to pop in, say hello to a couple of friends, and walk out with a box full of goodies to enjoy during the coming week.  (I got a great deal on a case--a case!!--of my favorite Bengal Spice tea, which should arrive next Friday.  I can hardly wait!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!