Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sap Rising


The days are getting warmer with icy cold nights, which means it is perfect for collecting sap from my resident Box Elders.  Last year, it was a terrible year for sap collection.  I still managed to gather enough to boil down a single half-pint of syrup, but it was underwhelming to say the least. 

I have higher hopes for this season.  We've had plenty of snow, and now with the mild daytime temperatures up into the low forties, it should be a good run.  I have collection bags hanging on spouts hammered into both my clusters of trees, on the sunny side which should hopefully catch quite a lot of sap.  If I can gather enough sap to boil down into a couple of pints of syrup, I will be very happy.

Mostly, though, it's a simple early spring project that helps to make me feel as though the long winter is coming to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!