Monday, July 8, 2013

Learning to Like Kale

I am not a fan of kale.  I much prefer swiss chard, but unfortunately, it isn't ready to pick while the kale is monsterous and demanding to be used.  And, I have a lot of it so I might as well suck it up and learn to like it.  It's not that I hate it, exactly (I reserve that adjective for slimy okra).  It just...doesn't make my tastebuds go all aflutter with joy.

But, as I've mentioned, I have a lot of it, so I must eat it.  Oh, I have shared quite a bit with the chickens and the rabbits, but there is still plenty for me.  Sigh.

I know some people can stomach it raw, in salads or "massaged" into submission, but please.  This stuff is chewy and tough, once it reaches mature size, and it needs/demands to be cooked.  So I've come up with a concoction that I (dare I say it) actually like, that works for both breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Basic Kale Fry-Up

You'll need a small bunch of kale, four or five healthy sized leaves, washed and sliced thinly; one potato, cut into thin slices; 1/2 onion, sliced thinly; fat of your choice (I use home-rendered lard); two fresh eggs; salt and pepper.

In a medium cast iron frying pan, melt fat over medium heat until it reaches the sizzling point.  Toss in potato slices, turn to coat with fat, cover and reduce heat to low-ish.  Allow to cook for four minutes, then flip the slices, and recover.  Cook for another 5-7 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.

Add the onion, turning the potatoes at the same time so everything browns nicely.  I cover between food additions, which helps speed the cooking along a bit.  After the onion has cooked for a minute or two, add the kale and cover again.  Allow the kale to wilt, then turn it into the potato-onion mix.

After all the vegetables are tender, remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.  Scrape any leftover bits out of the hot pan, and return to heat.  Add a little more fat if needed, and when ready, crack in the fresh eggs.  Cook them however you like them (I adore over-easy eggs!).  When done, lay your eggs on top of the potato-kale-onion fry-up and season with salt and pepper to your desiring.  You can add whatever you like, by way of condiments or other vegetables.  I've had great success making this dish with the (single) early zucchini from the garden.  Anyway you make it, it's a good way to make kale enjoyable to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!