Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fruit Cages

Every year, something eats my strawberries.  One bite taken out of each beautiful fruit, ruining it for me.  It's so unfair.

I've tried netting (which whatever it is can still poke its beak through) and I've tried diligent picking.  Still, something eats them.  I starting to wonder if it is mice...but I'm suspecting bluebirds.  I don't mind sharing the raspberries, as there are more than enough of those to go around, but my small strawberry patch is MINE dang it.  I'd like to get more than 12 good fruits in a season.

So I have an idea.  I want to make fruit cages like the ones in this video:
 Start watching at 1:47 and you'll see the gloriousness.  I think I can work on these over the winter, and have them ready for spring.  I think I may redo the sides of the beds as well.  Right now, they are rounded landscaping timbers, which work great but I think are perhaps allowing critters to crawl underneath. 

Gardening.  It's warfare, people.  Me against the critters that want to eat all my strawberries.  I'm going to do my best to win next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!