Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Beeeeeeets!



This afternoon the weather is absolutely lovely. No need for the AC growling away; I can actually have my windows open, with cool fresh air pouring in. I picked the last of the peas, and discovered that my beets have decided to bulb up and are ready to pick. Growing up, I never really liked beets because all I ever experienced was the nasty, tin-can tasting ones. But a fresh beet, now that is a thing not to be missed. After trimming the greens and tossing them in by the grateful hens, I'm boiling them on the stove to soften them up and loosen their skins. Then comes the cooling process, then the slipping off of the papery thin skins, and my favorite part: Making them into a yummy side dish for dinner! My favorite way to have beets is to make a dish called Harvard Beets.


Harvard Beets

3 cups boiled-till-soft, peeled, and sliced beets

3/4 cup sugar

4 tsp. cornstarch

1/3 cup vinegar

1/3 cup water

3 T. butter

salt & pepper to taste

In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil and lower heat, maintaining a good strong bubbling action for five minutes. Stir often, because the sauce gets thick and sticky. Add beets, simmer 15 minutes on low heat. Stir in butter, season with salt and pepper. Good served warm, but can be eaten cold if desired. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!