Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Update on the Heat Wave

It is really hot still. Today, the heat index was 120 degrees. Luckily, my mom (who is visiting for a week--the hottest week of the year, of course) was amenable to staying home this afternoon so I could do hourly checks of all the outside critters. You have not seen pathetic until you see a chicken being hit by a cold hose. At first they hated it, but by the third trip of the day when the heat started cranking up, they were chuckling and hooting but staying right under that spray. Poor things.
The rabbits are hanging in there, too. I got a cooling mist system delivered yesterday afternoon (thank you, Amazon.com) and hooked it up. It said that it would lower the temperature by 20 degrees, and to be honest, I was just hoping for five. Would you believe the thing actually works as advertised?? I was shocked, but it was seriously significantly cooler in the rabbit barn than outdoors, even during the high heat, full sun part of the day it stayed tolerable in there. It does get everything very very drippy so all the feeders are covered by ziploc baggies and the hay is covered by a spare bit of wood. I'll take damp over deadly heat any day.
Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler. I believe it when it gets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!