Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday, oh Sunday

It's been a busy day around here so far. A thunderstorm rolled through about 6 AM, which drenched everything nicely so I didn't have to do any morning watering. That let me actually have time to eat my breakfast (a bagel) sitting down. What luxury! Then it was off to the races: I moved the pullets to the grow-out pen temporarily, since I needed my brooder shed for the stinky meat chicks currently attracting fat flies to my porch. I decided to rechristen the pen to the TARDIS, because it is a big, blue, box (although lacking the ability to travel to various points along the space-time continuum). That's a Dr. Who reference, folks, and if you have no idea who that is, all I can say is: Watch the episodes, you can find them on Netflix and then you too can be a geek who makes obligatory references to an obscure British sci-fi program in your blog, too. The pullets seem happy in there, although since it is now 90 degrees and humid in the afternoon, a little annoyed at the warmth. I told them to stay in the shady bits and drink water, and they'll be fine. So, after the little girls were re-routed to their new digs, I called up my friend Willie who needs all things poo and got him to come over and take away all my muck that I pitched out of the brooder shed. He's a fanatical composter, in case you were thinking he has some nasty kind of feces-fetish. Little did he know that I was also going to con him into helping me move the stinky chicks from the porch into the shed. Between the two of us, we got the little smelly SOBs installed and he wandered off with some horribly fragrant old shavings. I swear, I just cleaned it yesterday, and it looked like a herd of elephants had crapped in it for a week and a half. I love knowing where my meat comes from, but seriously--these meat chicks are mess-ee. Blech. Anyhow, a little bleach soaking, a little rinse, and now the stock tank is retired until next spring when the mayhem of raising meat starts over again. Once the chickens were all settled, I moved on to the bunnies. Two of my girls are due any day, so I plunked the nest boxes into their spots. Both seemed very, very interested, and started moving the straw around to their liking. Of course, then it became super hot out there and everybody is lying next to their frozen bottles, chests heaving like they are hiking it across the Sahara at noon. Summer sucks sometimes, particularly when it is humid. And if all THAT wasn't enough, I shaved down Max again so he can be a little less wooly and hopefully cooler. He is such a trooper, putting up with my bad-ass momma haircuts. At least I don't use a bowl...and once his hair was all trimmed and tidy, I took a shower and now here I am, parked by the computer procrastinating doing homework. Later on, if it cools off and doesn't storm, I'll mow the lawn this evening. Ahh, the life and times of a farmgirl are never dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!