Monday, August 15, 2011

Early Mornings

I have been waking up very early of late. Friday, it was early to rise & take chickens in to Clear Lake. Saturday, I woke up even earlier and discovered that once again, driving at 5 AM means that I'm driving in the dark, not pre-dawn's pearly light. Remember how I mentioned that I was going to pick up a couple new pullets at an animal swap in Fall Creek? Well, I got allllllll the way to Fall Creek, and went to turn down the county road heading to the little farm, and didn't see a distinctive "swap" sign. That got me thinking, ummm? I thought it was this weekend...
Luckily for me, Mr. Blackberry had service and I was able to surf the net and discover that the swap is actually next weekend. There I was, 6 AM, nothing open, tired and laughing at myself as I parked alongside a field of cows. They didn't seem too perturbed by the shrieks of hysterical laughter wafting from the car windows.
Yesterday, I slept in until 7 AM, and then cleaned the whole house before a passel of smart women came visiting. I've started a Farmgirl chapter (it's detailed, but for the best description, go to www.maryjanesfarm.com and click on the link) and so far, there are 10 ladies who are just delighted to find a social group with their same interests at heart. You know, all the stuff I blog about here: canning, growing food, making homemade stuff, chickens and rabbits and sewing...all that stuff that other "normal" folks aren't into and earns you funny looks when you mention your interest in it to general company.
This morning, I was happily snoozing in bed thinking: "Man, it's already August 15th. Where did summer go?", when I shot straight up in bed and remembered, it's August 15th and I have a major auto-payment getting sucked out of my too-lean bank account! Augh!! Silly me, I completely forgot about it and said to myself just yesterday afternoon, "Wow! I have all this extra money, I think I'll pay a bunch of bills online & by phone early!!! Aren't I clever??" Oh, clever self. You are soooooooooooooo not clever sometimes. But never fear, my dears, all is not lost. The Bank of Mom can (sometimes) save your sorry butt, but never abuse it. The Bank of Mom is a rare, rare bank that actually has a heart. It also accepts semi-frantic phone calls at 6 AM with grace.
And this concludes the installment of 'Early Mornings'. Stay tuned for the next episode, titled 'Afternoon Nap'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!