Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Update: GN Saga Continued

This evening, I was out messing about in the yard: rolling up temporary fencing that had become a dog-approved obstacle course jump, finishing up the sink fountain on my side of the fence, adding straw to the TARDIS. I was in the back garden, picking the first head of brocolli & the third harvest of beets, when I heard a man's voice asking if I had a minute. Lo and behold, it is GN's son. Apparently he decided it was time to introduce himself--after ignoring my presence for the past five years. I held out my hand to shake his, and after a minute of staring at it like it was a foriegn object, he acknowledged the gesture. I asked, so...what can I do for you? And he launched into a huffy tirade, wanting to know the "nature of the conversation [I] had with [his] mother". I responded by asking, oh dear...hasn't she spoken to you about her concerns? His reply was that she was very upset, and had told him that I started the issue by being beligerent and mean...!!!! I replied, oh my it sounds like she's told you something very different than what actually happened! and smiled, sweet as sugar. In a calm, collected and kindly tone, I filled him in on the saga (the screaming phone call on a Sunday afternoon, refusal of the offer to call a pest expert, two weeks of silence followed by a complaint to the Village board, ongoing campaign of talking to the neighbors and refusing to speak to me, etc., etc.), ending with the sending of a certified copy of the pest control expert's report clearing my property of rodent issues to her and the Village board, because "your mother just refuses to talk to me, poor thing, and I really had no other way of being sure that she would receive and acknowledge the report--which really, should put her mind at ease about her concerns about rodents on my property". Yes, my dears, I said all that, and smiled sweetly at him while doing so. He huffed and he puffed, and basically told me to stop being "mean" to his mother, because she had "a lot on her mind" and she couldn't understand why I stopped talking to her, as she had always liked me and had felt insulted because I sent her a letter instead of just talking to her, like I had in the past... No, dears, I didn't start laughing at this point, but I did retch a little. All I said was, that I was happy to hear that she liked me, although surprised because she refused to speak to me which doesn't seem terribly friendly, and that I hoped she wouldn't misunderstand my intention of sending her a letter (which again, since she refuses to talk to me, needed to be sent certified so I would know she got it) as being, as he put it, mean. That's me, the big meanie who started this whole saga--oh wait. No, it was GN who started it! My mistake.
The funniest part of the conversation was when he tried to blame the ongoing circulation of the "rats on that girl's property" rumor on the Village gossip mill--and I said, oh really, because I've heard from several people that heard the concern directly from your mother, they sure seem like reliable people and I don't know why they would lie about something your mother said. In public. To her women's group and bible study group and the rescue squad and the Village board and the folks at the gas station....yes, my dears, I did say allllllll of that, and then I just looked at him and smiled sweetly. He huffed and puffed and couldn't maintain eye contact to save his darling little life. Shortly after that, he sidled off, saying he was glad we were finally introduced and that he "felt good" about clearing things up. I told him to stop by anytime, and that if his mother had concerns, she should stop in, too.
I cackled to myself, and kept pulling beets. I mean, they were ready...anyhow, shortly thereafter, my wonderful neighbor to the south roared up on his lawn tractor, waved me over, and said, I'm keeping the tractor running so nobody hears us...but what did he say??? I think my wonderful neighbor got almost as much of a kick out of the conversation rehash as I did in the original version. Apparently, there is a history of GN and son making much of themselves around town, to the amusement of many other villagers, and this saga (and it's conclusion this evening) has been making the rounds. I get the feeling that I am a heroine of sorts, not that I am looking for that, but a little notoriety never did a girl any harm. I can handle having a reputation of owning a pair of brass cahones and not being afraid to stand up to the resident Stepford cheerleader on the block. (Yes, she really was the nasty head cheerleader once...scary thought, isn't it? Some people don't change as they get older.) I should mention, after having the pest control guy come & finding conclusively no rodent issues on my property, I did mention to a few key people (who I know manage to spread a bit of "news" about town, to strategic ears) that if the rumors and insuations persisted and developed to the point that some govermental entity felt the need to dictate what happens on my land, I would have noooooo problem contacting my lawyer to address the issues at hand. Shortly after that, certain individuals who had been rather vocal about the rumored rat issues & my part in them made sure to stop in or call, and suck up royally and the allegations stopped, oh, nearly instantaneously. Ahh, the power of potential litigation never ceases to move mountains. Anyhow, after relaying the conversation to my wonderful neighbor, I added again that if this issue came up again, well...I'd hate to call my lawyer in, but I would do it...he almost fell off his tractor he was laughing so hard.
I am sure by tomorrow morning this story will have circulated around the village three times, each time getting more and more elaborate. My brass balls and I will be very much admired by some, I am sure, and grumped about by others. I do love living in a small town--it's better than a Greek drama! Shakespeare, anyone?? Et tu, Brute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!