Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Make Hay While The Sun Shines



Or, better yet, dry some apples! My project for the day (well, one of them, anyway) involves the sun, apple slices, and a nifty solar dehydrator bequeathed to me by a very good friend (Thanks, Gretchen!).

Early this morning, I dragged out my apple-peeler-corer-slicer whirligig device, parked it on the end of the table, and found a spare 5 gallon bucket to hold all the left-over cores. Sometimes I peel the apples, too, but these will be for the rabbits during the winter months so I left the healthy-yet-leathery peel in place. It took me about 5 minutes to crank through about 25 little apples, and another minute or two to separate the rings into slices and lay them out on the screened shelves for the dehydrator.

After parking the dehydrator in the sun, I filled it with the shelves, shut the door, and let the day do it's work. No electricity, no noisy fan filling the house with random whirring, no worries about bugs (it's too dang hot in there for any sensible insect), and by the end of the afternoon I'll have a whole bunch of dried, sliced apples that my rabbits will enjoy as supplemental feed during the winter. Gotta keep those bunnies happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!