Saturday, August 20, 2011

Swaaaaaaaaaap!



This morning, I left the house at 4:45 AM. I know, it was horribly painful. But, unlike last Saturday, my mission to find the small animal swap in Fall Creek was much more successful. I came home with: A "white cornish" pullet (although it looks nothing like the "cornish" breed in my chicken encyclopedia, so I think it is a barnyard mixture pullet--who only cost me $5 so it's okay);A black cochin pullet, crossed between a bantam variety and a standard variety, so I think she'll be "in the middle" sized ($2);and two standard cochin pullets, crossed between partridge and buff colors ($5 each, from a guy who really knew his stuff--he's trying to create a "true red" color variety!)

Right now, the three larger pullets are in the coop, in a kennel. I did some reading of various blogs, and this sounds like the best option for the next day or two. Right now, everyone is pretty freaked out (that is, the new additions are freaked. The current pullets are interested but not upset). The littlest one, the black cochin who I think will become Gretel, is in a separate kennel on the porch. She isn't too pleased, but the other newbies were picking on her so I thought, ahh well let's give them a day or so apart and see how it goes. It should be okay, as everybody is young and hasn't gotten the adult "kill the infidel" urge yet.In other chicken news, I decided to rename Speckles the Speckled Sussex to Sookie. It seems more fitting, and way less blah. Along with Pearl and Fifi, Sookie seems to be getting over her trauma and settling in. They come say 'hi' now when I am outside, a big improvement over the shrieking and running that marked the last week. And there you have the amazing chicken update from my little rurban farmlette. I think I'm going to go take a nap now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!