Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Babies Have Left the Nest



This morning, I went out to feed the rabbits early. Its definitely fall outside, and this morning was dark and murky and rainy. (Not my most favorite chore weather...)

I got a big surprise when I wandered into the bunny barn: The kits have hopped out of the nest! Their eyes had opened a few days ago, and they had gotten a lot more active with exploring the nest box. I wasn't really ready to be greeted by five pairs of eyes staring at me from a cage that usually only has one pair in it. Little Mama is disappointed, because now she no longer gets any grass rations at all. Darn kids, always messing things up! Anyway, she seems to be very proud of her little brood. They'll stay in with her for another week or two, and then move to their new collective cage. I'm hoping to figure out how to tell if they are boys or girls before then, which I think is going to be a little complicated. I'll keep you posted on how that research turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!