Monday, September 12, 2011

It's Too Hot Out There



So look who came inside for the afternoon. It is about 95 degrees in the bunny barn, and when I popped in to check on the inmates before taking Ernest & Emily up to the vet for worming & first shots, the little kits were squeaking and wiggling around (which are apparently signs of distress). Much to Little Mama's consternation, I pulled the nest box out and hiked these little ones to hang out in the dim, cool kitchen for the rest of the afternoon. Once the sun goes down, and I shut off the cooling mist system (can't get the kits wet, either), I'll put the nest box back in. Hopefully, since I haven't touched the babies, Little Mama will be very happy to have them back and not get freaky on me. I just had to pull them out, though...I was having flashes to my week old kits' being killed in July, and couldn't bear the thought of these new arrivals not making it! Tomorrow, it is supposed to be much cooler (high in the low 60s) so the kits shouldn't need to come out again until they are ready to be weaned in a few weeks' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!