Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Pop Up Greenhouse

Along with other weekend projects, I successfully put up my new Flowerhouse greenhouse.  It comes in a large round bag, and then springs out TAH DAH and suddenly, you have a greenhouse where there once was none.

Actually, it involved quite a bit of swearing, sweating and nearly poking my eye out a couple of times with springy fiberglass rods which wanted to spring at the most inopportune moments.  The directions said "have two people" but having only one, I made do.  And look what I accomplished!  Only one major splinter and a side bruise to show for it.

Sunday morning was spent banging in pegs and installing tie-downs, and layering weed suppressant fabric and wood mulch to help deter both weeds and slugs.  With any luck, I'll be able to find a set or two of shorter shelves to put along the north wall, and by next weekend, maybe a few things can move into their new spots in the greenhouse.

The straw bales in front, liberally covered with aging chicken manure, are the beginnings of a straw bale garden.  Hopefully I will have good luck with growing some summer squash out of them this year!  The south garden is very sunny and very hot now that the big tree is no longer there, so I think all sorts of exciting growing opportunities will be appearing this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!