Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Most Excellent Weekend

The weather may not have been seasonable, but we were not deterred:  it was the 100 Mile Garage Sale weekend, and we were going to shop, dang it!

All gassed up and ready to go (including our rented trailer, my arch nemesis.)
 It snowed off and on all day Friday, the first day of our weekend of sale-ing.  It was cold and miserable, but there were stops for hot coffee and occasional heated garages and tents to warm up in.

There may be snow banks, but the neighborhoods were filled with shoppers.
 I am terrible at backing up with a trailer attached, but managed to go the whole first day without needing to do so.  Awesome!, I thought, but on the second day the trailer revealed it had been mocking me and biding its time.  Of course, rampant road construction with cordoned off streets and unsigned closed streets due to downed power lines didn't help matters.  (Red Wing is not my most favorite city at present.)  At one particularly tricky juncture, at a heavily picked over estate sale that ended up being at the very end of a dead end street--sans cul-du-sac turn around, of course--I recruited a handy man to back up LuLa and her appendage because I was fairly stuck. 

Thank goodness for handy menfolk.  Thank you, random helpful guy.
There's my mom and friend Gretchen checking out the goodies.
 Some of the pickings were good (I found some neat stuff and a whole bunch of tools for the gardens), while others were...odd.  Take, for example, this rawhide-colored and -textured ceramic plate, festooned with gum, slide whistles, and jelly bracelets. 
Umm...why?  Just...why?  (Yes, this really was for sale.)
Treasures found amidst the chaff: antique spice case, tortilla press, and two sizes of kraut cutters!
The best part?  Spending a weekend with the girls!

1 comment:

  1. Whoo hoo..Im so glad you had such a wonderful time! I've got that tortilla press aswell :) jelly bracelets..man is that a blast from the past or what? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!