Friday, May 17, 2013

Post-Apolocalyptic Fiction, Anyone?


I've been on an audiobook kick recently.  It all started with a Cold Antler Farm Read-Along, with some discussion about a book called World Made By Hand.  Set in what is referred to as the "not so distant future", it's the story of a small town in upstate New York, cut off from everything now that the government has collapsed, oil is gone and electricity is no more.  Everyone walks everywhere, not that you go much further than five miles or so from home, and bartering for food and other trade goods is the new norm.  No more cash money, it's all about "silver": dimes, nickels, quarters, half dollars, and the occasional real gold doubloon.  Horses are the new hot ticket to transportation, and if you do someone a truly big favor, they gift you a mule. 

I want someone to gift me a mule, dang it.

I don't particularly want to give up my creature comforts just yet, but I do find some degree of satisfaction in listening to these tales as I drive my giant, ridiculously gas guzzling truck hither and yon, and realizing that I can do a lot of the things that the characters in the story have struggled to learn in the years following the collapse of civilization.  Apparently, in those future times, a girl who can raise the chicken, kill it, dress it, and cook it on a wood fired stove is extremely desirable.  Throw in a knowledge of sewing, knitting, weaving baskets, and fishing, and you have yourself a veritable goddess.

(Who knew it would take the economic and social collapse of the world to make me a hot commodity? Ha ha!)

Anyway, I don't know that I quite agree with everything the author has to say about this grim yet satisfying future.  There are some interesting sci-fi elements in there, with hints of the paranormal, and a rather telling social commentary about large religious cult-like entities.  It is enough twists and turns in the weaving of multiple story lines that is keeping me interested in this second novel, The Witch of Hebron.  The first novel told the story of one character, but I am liking how there are at least six different storylines being played out in this second novel.  It really builds the richness of small town life to hear so many different voices in a story, know what I mean?

I bought myself the audiobook to download onto my iPod, but I'm sure you could find downloadable options through your library, or audiobook on CD or real book options as well.  (I tracked down the CDs, but they were all scratched and horrible, and my library didn't offer the book as an audio download yet.)  It's a fine sci-fi tale, and it does make you think about what it might be like if we do run out of gas, or something terrible and terroristic happens...but mostly, it's a good story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!