Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The New Snack Craze?

The more I read about GMO products, the more freaked out I get.  Part of the freak out is that I (as most Americans) have been eating that sh&t for years and didn't know it.  Well, pardon me, but I refuse to be anybody's guinea pig any longer, thank you VERY much.  However, I do have a happy junk food addiction.  Oh, well.  I haven't had a Little Debbie's confection in a loooooong while, but still, I dream of those Funnybones every once in a while...somehow, they are always so much better in dreams than in reality.  In reality, they taste like tin, plastic, and sorrow.  Bleah.

Apparently, my taste buds have changed on this mostly organic diet I consume.

The one junk I still crave is chips.  Pretzels.  Crunchy cheesy things.  Oh my, oh yes.  Pass me the bowl and some dip, baby, and I am a happy woman.

Unfortunately, 99% of the chip aisle is corn.  GMO corn, to be precise, and that. freaks. me. out.  Frankenfood disguised as tortilla chips.  Agh!

As I don't intend to give up my crunchy delights, I've been searching out acceptable non-GMO options.  It's actually been kind of fun, and while some things have been too weird or too differently textured or tasted...odd, overall, there have been some darn good options.  Here's some of my favorites thus far:
Beans in chip form!  My fav: Better Cheddar Black Bean chips.

Great texture, good crunch, and organic corn.  My salsa is so good with them!

A nice alternative to wheat, and all-around good pretzel.

Not entirely sold on the poof texture, but the flavor is spot on.
Stay tuned for further adventures in exploring organic junk food.  What will be next, I wonder?  Peas made into pretzels?  Dried hummus jerky?  Well, no jerky, please.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cris, I love the plain black bean chips. The plain Pinto bean chips are OK, too. Unfortunately, I can't eat the cheese or chipotle kinds due to food intolerance to the dairy and the smoke flavoring.

    Can't eat the spelt pretzels-either. Spelt is an older form of wheat which I did try to use the flour to bake bread a while ago, but that is a NO, NO, too. Darn, 'cause the bread was great!

    Karen N

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!