Friday, May 10, 2013

Random Rabbit Fact of the Day


Rabbits love dried pineapple.

Really, they do.  They go all ga-ga about it, prancing and performing until you fork over their daily slice of brown-gold goodness.

I originally discovered this phenomenon when Mohair, my oldest angora rabbit, was suffering from constipation (he gets kinda embarrassed about it, so you can't say it too loudly) and all I could find papaya-related was some horrible dayglo orange crapola full of synthetic dyes.  (Apparently, papaya enzyme is good for the angora rabbit digestive system somehow.)  So I swung into the Co-Op to see what they had by way of dried fruit, and the most appealing thing was dried organic pineapple slices.  I decided to give it a try, and offered one to a woeful Mr. Mohair.  Lo and behold, he discovered his new reason for living and hasn't had a momentary issue with the ol' bowels since.

Hee.  Sorry, this devolved into a rabbit bowel health discussion somehow.  Apparently, that's how we roll here on the little Farmlette.  Haw haw!

What started with one bound-up bunny has now become an evening ritual.  I say hello to each rabbit, offer water and hay and a scoop of kibble, and the whole time they are tolerating me just waiting for me to fork over that sweet treat.  They'll practically do backflips and pluck it from my hands.

Wrest it away violently, actually, is more what happens.

It's a violent passionate love, obviously, but it is still a fact:  Rabbits. Love. Pineapple.

Now, go share this with all your friends and they will be impressed and astounded by your knowledge of rabbit snack preferences.  Wow-wee.

1 comment:

  1. That is very interesting to know about pineapple. We have one rabbit here for a pet inside. Yesterday the kids treated him to banana.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!