Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Future Fruit


It's a little hard to see in this picture, but what you're looking at is my new bush cherry and blueberry garden.  Cherries on the left, blueberries on the right. 

Right now, they are just sticks with leaf buds.

I know, it isn't very impressive.  But you gotta admit, the mulch looks nice.  It smells good, too, in case you were wondering.  Nice and cyprus-y.

Mmmm.  Florida piney woods smell. 

The boards and stakes are there to help keep things in place, as this is a fairly steep hillside leading into a deep ditch.  I have a terrible erosion issue with my yard, where everything flows down and across the street into the corn field.  I don't want my new plants to wash down into the ditch, hence the board-and-batten reinforcements.  Time will tell if it will work.

In a few weeks, I am sure it will look more impressive.  There should at least be some green leaves to look at.  In a few years, it will be spectacular, because I should start getting some cherries and blueberries.  I always consider planting fruit to be "hopeful gardening", because if everything goes well, you might get some fruit.  If everything doesn't go well, you might not. 

Gardening.  My version of gambling, where you're in it for the long haul, not the short return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!